Jul
29

Summer Update

Filed Under (Computer Lab Updates, News) by on July 29, 2012

This marks the conclusion of four wonderful years blogging the technology news for the Downtown School! I am transitioning to a new position teaching fifth grade reading and language arts this year, and will be starting a new blog to document integration of educational technology. I will post the new link once I get settled in my new school (only 4 miles from my house…woot!).

In June, I taught a class at the Memphis City Schools Got Tech summer camp. This year, the theme was “Going Green.” The amount of technology these kids were able to learn and produce in a week was astounding. In fact, they told me to stop hovering. I apologized, reminding them that I am used to teaching applications to younger kids! So, I stepped back and let them get to work. Many finished the required projects (GoAnimate, Tagxedo, Voki, paperslide videos, blogging, etc.), so I had a little time to introduce them to stopmotion animation. We had a fabulous, informative, fun, and productive trip to the Memphis Zoo to observe and photograph endangered animals, and the week was just all around awesome. Check out the kids’ blogs (which contain links to all their various projects):

Got Tech 2012 Blogs

Here is a link to the homepage of my new school: Cordova Elementary